Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A picture is worth...1,000 words

Writing assignment today where students had to write a story after viewing a Norman Rockwell picture, so the assignment is called, “A picture is worth 1,000 words.” I explained the assignment, took them through the pre-writing activity and then they draft a story. The directions say: Create a narrative story based upon what you think is happening in the story. I provide them with 1 page to write.


N walks up and says, “So this has to be 1,000 words???”
Teacher: Where does it say that?
N: Looks at paper, then back at me. “1,000. Wow, ok, I guess I can do it. Really, 1,000 words?”
Teacher: “Again, Nathan does it say anywhere on there that it has to be 1,000 words?”
N: “Alright, yeah I get it, 1,000 words, that’s long, but yeah I can do it.”
And… he walks away....

0 comments: